Who Am I?
I am a professional writer with a lifelong love of words. I have over 20 years of full-time professional writing experience.
I have been involved in every aspect of the writing process: generating creative ideas, writing, editing, document design and layout, publishing and social media.
I teach writing and creativity classes, and present at writing conferences and mentor teams of writers and other creative professionals.
I have taught classes and presented workshops at the following places and venues:
- The Thurber House
- Upper Arlington Lifelong Learning
- Columbus Writers Conference
- Write Brain Workshop
- Western Reserve Writers Conference
- Columbus State Writers Conference
- Maumee Valley Writers Conference
- Eastland-Fairfield Technical Schools
- The Decorative Arts Center of Ohio
- Barnes & Noble
Here are some of the workshops that I present:
- Writing for the Online Audience
- Better Business Communication for Beginners and Veterans
- The 15-Minute Writer: How to Achieve Your Writing Dreams in Just 15 Minutes a Day
- Writing for Publication Boot Camp
- Flash Writing – How to Write, Revise and Publish Stories Less Than 1000 Words Long
- Creative Thinking for Creative Writers
- Character, Conflict and Chaos – A Guide to Writing Fascinating Fiction
- Building a Better Writing Group
- Critiquing Content for Publication
- Writing for Children
- Unbreakable Rules of Writing
- 7 Sinister Things You Must Do to Mess Up Your Character’s Lives
If you want to hire me to present any of these classes, contact me. Not seeing a class you need here, or want a customized class to meet your specific needs? Let’s talk.
I’ve been a creative writing contributor to Suite101, a columnist for flashquake, the curator of this blog and two others: Grist for the Muse and The 15-Minute Writer, but these are on hiatus with Flash Writing serving as the central hub of my writing career.
I am the author of Flash Writing: How to Write, Revise and Publish Stories Less Than 1000 Words Long.
I am the creator of the JumpStart Jars, a creative tool for creative people.
Trained in the ISO 9000 process as well as the DACUM (Developing a Curriculum) methodology, I can break down a process, analyze it, and find ways to improve it to save time or money, or simply document it.
With experience in the retail, telecommunications, energy, publishing, academic, pharmaceutical and IT industries, I have a little knowledge of just about every industry and how to tackle complex technical subjects and present them in easy to understand, user friendly formats for any audience.
As manager and facilitator, I have helped hundreds of people meet their personal or professional goals. As an experienced interviewer, I know how to identify talent and determine if they are a fit for an organization and know how to manage those individuals to make sure they reach their full potential.